We chat with award winning hair and makeup artist Sarah Laidlaw about her 'career highlights' 'Favourite products' And the first thing she will do when isolation is over. @sarahlaidlaw
Q1 Where has been the best location in the world you have travelled for work and what was it for?
- Oh that’s a hard one! I’ve been very, very lucky and been flown to some incredible hotels and cities… and all are brilliant for their own reasons. The one that stands out as a true once in a lifetime location was the Palazzo Corsini in Florence. It’s a monumental baroque palace built in the 1600’s. My beautiful client and friend Jaimee Belle Kennedy flew me over to do her wedding in the palace (and the other 2 day of parties around it). The day in the Palazzo was truly magical. At the time it was not accessible to the public so to be at a glamorous party in there was incredible! The wedding dinner was in the 2 storey high throne room surrounded by Jeff Leatham flowers en masse!! I had to keep reminding myself I was working.
Q2 What is the one tool or product you can’t live without in your kit?
- Is that a trick question? Haha!! That list is actually quite long. But ok, if it was a single thing for hair- then I’d have to say a workable hairspray as you can achieve so much with it (even just using your fingers). If we’re talking makeup, I’d say concealer. If you can’t make the skin look good then you’re not going to get far.
Q3 What made you start your own line? (or hairstylists own salon)
- I haven’t done either! I don’t have a product line and I’m a freelance session stylist and makeup artist, so no salon. I haven’t ever wanted to be tied to the one place… and I’ve seen how difficult it is to start a line and it’s never been something I’ve had the urge to do as yet. But never say never! Let’s see how bored I get during isolation!
Q4 Who would be the ONE person you would love to work your magic on?
- How FUN would it be to work with Gaga?? I think that would be so exciting and challenging for a hair and makeup artist. Not just coming up with something new for her constantly, but making sure it was structurally sound enough for dance routines. I’d be living for all those mad looks.
Q5 What is you favourite KATKIT ROAD pro case in the range?
- I love the KATKIT mini clear case. I think I need about 50 more!
Q6 What is your daily routine & how are you keeping yourself occupied being in Isolation like the rest of the world?
I’m loving NOT having a routine! I’m taking the opportunity to rest and read and dream and watch. I feel like hairdressers and makeup artists don’t really take proper holidays - especially if you’re freelance. I know I don’t. I don’t think I’ve ever gone away without my kits!! I’m sure I’ll get bored and start doing some random creative things in time, but so far I’m embracing this time for what it is.
Q7 When our current global situation is all over, what is the very first thing you will set out to do?
- Hug my family and friends!